MoneyGram is a fast and easy method for people who need to transfer cash, be it for personal or business reasons. When you send a personal check, your monthly bank statement or online balance will tell you if it has been cashed. Even though a MoneyGram payment is not tied to your bank account, it's easy to find out if your payment has been received.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Touch-tone phone
- Receipt from money order
Find the red number on the bottom of your receipt. It should be a 12-digit number, printed in colour. It may have a letter in front of it.
Call MoneyGram's customer service line at 800-542-3590 and select your language. Press "1" if your language is English.
Press "1" to indicate that you have purchased a MoneyGram money order.
Press "1" to determine the status of a money order.
Press "1" again to check the status of your money order.
Press "1" if there is a letter in front of your money order number, or press "2" if there is not a letter in front of the number.
Enter your money order number, omitting any letters, then press the pound key "#".
Enter the amount of the money order in dollars and cents, using the star () key in place of the decimal point. For example, if the money order is for £32, press "5-0--0-0" on your phone's keypad, then press the "#" key. When prompted, confirm the amount is correct by pressing "1".
The automated system will tell you whether the money order has been cashed or not. You can either hang up the call at this point, or stay on the line for more options, including the option to check the status of another money order.
Tips and warnings
- You can also check the status of your money order payment by filling out an online contact form at MoneyGram.com; however, this will not give you an instant status like MoneyGram's automated phone system.
- If you have lost your money order receipt, you can press "3" at Step 6 to be connected to a customer service representative who can try to help you find it. At the time of this publication, MoneyGram will charge you £26 to run a search to locate the missing money order.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for