Foam board, or foam core, is a very inexpensive and easy to use sheet of foam that can be used to hang art prints on a wall when you do not want to buy an expensive frame for your print. Hanging foam board is usually a quick and easy process. There are different ways to do this, on your own with materials from around the house and by using foam board hangers from your local hardware store. The end result will be the same, but the foam board hangers may cost a couple of dollars each.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Foam board hangers
Make sure your print is mounted on the foam board in the exact position that you want. Take the piece of string and hold it into place where you will attach it to the foam board. Use the scissors to cut the string about 6 inches longer than the foam board's width.
Tie a loop into each end of the string a quarter of an inch from the ends. This will give the glue more surface area to adhere the string to the back of the foam board.
Place a drop of glue on each side of the back of the foam board where you would like to attach the string. Make sure the drop of glue is big enough for the loop in the string to rest within it, a dime-sized drop will be sufficient.
Place the loop at each end of the string into its own puddle of glue and push it into the glue for ideal coverage. Let the glue dry overnight to make sure the string is securely fastened to the back of the foam board.
Drive a nail into the wall where you would like to hang the foam board with a hammer and hang the string on the nail.
Purchase as many foam board hangers from your local hardware store as you may need. Use two hangers per piece of foam board.
Mark the positions with a marker where the foam board hangers will be placed. You should mark these positions 1 inch inside the left and right edges on the back of the foam board, two-thirds of the way from the bottom.
Place a dime-sized amount of glue on top of the mark that you made with the marker.
Press the spiky side of the hanger into the back of the foam board on top of the drop of glue and push it up just a little for the spikes to grab the foam.
Turn the foam board around, so you are looking at the back. Tie one end of string to the ring on the left hanger. Use your fingers to hold the string in the centre of the foam board, 2 inches from the top edge, which is where the string will hang on the nail. Continue to hold the string 2 inches from the top centre and cut the string so that it can be tied to the ring on the right hanger. Tie the other end of the string to the ring on the right hanger. The string should be tied to a hanger at each end and should rest 2 inches from the top centre when held there.
Use a hammer to drive a nail into the wall, 2 inches below the desired height of the top edge of the foam board. Hang the string on the nail and adjust each side of the foam board until it is level.
Foam Board Hangers
Tips and warnings
- You can attach the string to the back of the foam board wherever you would like, but keep in mind that if you attach it too high, it will show, and if you attach it too low, the foam board will lean forward off the wall a little.
- Foam board hangers come in plastic and metal. The plastic hangers have a sticky adhesive that sticks to the back of the foam board. The metal hangers have claws or spikes that grab the foam securely.
- Refer to the foam board hanger's package instructions for any weight limit. If your piece of foam board weighs more than the hangers can withstand, you may need to strategically place more hangers for ideal support.
- You may still want to use glue with the metal hangers for added support.
- Foam board is not a long term mounting solution. It will begin to bow over time in high humidity environments.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for