Mold is a fungi that grows in cool, damp conditions. Leaky homes, damp areas such as bathrooms and flooded homes are places where mould is commonly found. Small amounts of mould can easily be cleaned, but large areas need to be treated by professionals. Floors and walls usually have a smooth surface, making it easy to wipe mould up. However, porous surfaces such as drywall need to be replaced since mould spores will remain after cleaning.
Wet the mould with a spray bottle of water on the mist setting. Wetting the mould prevents dry mould spores from entering the air when it's cleaned.
Mix 1 cup of unscented washing powder with 1 gallon of warm water. Wet a sponge in the mixture. Unscented washing powder won't mask the smell of mould, letting you detect lingering odours.
Wipe off the mould using the sponge. Scrub the area with a scrub brush if the mould doesn't wipe off. Let the surface air dry.
Wipe the surface with a mixture of 1/4 cup bleach and 1 gallon water. Let it dry and repeat.
Keep the affected room warm and dry with a heater and dehumidifier to prevent mould from returning.
Always wear gloves and a mask when working with mould. Never mix bleach and ammonia together, as it creates toxic fumes.
Tips and warnings
- Keep the affected room warm and dry with a heater and dehumidifier to prevent mould from returning.
- Always wear gloves and a mask when working with mould.
- Never mix bleach and ammonia together, as it creates toxic fumes.
Things you need
- Spray bottle
- Unscented washing powder