Thanks to daily newspaper horoscopes, many people know their sun sign -- the zodiac sign the sun was positioned in at the time of their birth. Less well known is the fact that the moon also passes through the 12 zodiac signs, and its position in the zodiac at the time of your birth plays a role in astrological predictions. Some astrologers believe that the moon sign has another influence: that its position in the zodiac at the time of conception can affect a baby's gender.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Identify your baby's time of conception based on ovulation predictors. If you charted your basal body temperature, kept track of your cervical mucus or used ovulation predictor kits, check which date these tests indicate you ovulated. Remember if there was a day you felt ovulation pains -- cramps or abdominal discomfort thought to be caused by your ovaries releasing an egg. Moon signs change about every two and a half days, so the more accurately you can identify when you ovulated, the more accurate your gender prediction will be.
Estimate your baby's time of conception if you did not use ovulation predictors. If you have regular cycles, count back 14 days from when you expected to start your period. If an ultrasound measured your baby as seven weeks exactly on a particular date, use a calendar to figure out which date you would have been at two weeks exactly. Both methods will identify a possible -- but not completely reliable -- date of ovulation. While the average length from ovulation to a new period is 14 days, it can vary from 10 to 16 days. Also, seven-week ultrasound measurements can be off by up to three days.
Check the calculator's results to find the moon sign for your ovulation date. On the MoonSignCalendar.net calculator, the moon sign appears below the estimated date of ovulation.
Determine whether the moon sign is male or female. Air (Gemini, Libra and Aquarius) and Fire (Aries, Leo and Sagittarius) signs have a male polarity, and Earth (Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn) and Water (Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces) signs have a female polarity. Conceiving a baby in a male sign increases the odds of a boy while conceiving a baby in a female sign increases the odds of a girl.
Tips and warnings
- Don't paint the nursery based on a moon sign. While astrologers theorise that moon signs influence gender, these predictions aren't always correct.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Lunarium: Moon Sign -- Questions & Answers
- MoonSignCalendar.net: Planned Children, Lunar Conception, and the Jonas Method
- Victoria Bearden; What's Your Moon Sign, A Guide to Your Inner Self; Victoria Bearden; October 2003
- MoonSignCalendar.net: Moon Phase and Moon Sign Calculation 1800 - 2500
- Astrology Library: Lesson 7 -- Elements, Qualities & Polarity
- Cosmic Technologices (CosmiTec); Moon Phase and Gender Prediciton Techniques -- How It Works; Luc De Jaeger
- What to Expect; Ovulation: Five Ways to Tell if You Are Ovulating; Heidi Murkoff
- BabyZone; How Are the Weeks of Pregnancy Determined?; Marjorie Greenfield
- FertilityFriend.com: Statistical Data on Pregnancy Timing
- FertilityFriend.com: How Do I Know if My Luteal Phase is Long Enough?
- Obstetric Ultrasound; The FAQ Page; Joseph Woo