It is imperative to keep all body jewellery clean, including earrings. Regardless of the material, you should always clean earrings before and after wearing them. Germs on the earrings can cause irritation and infection at the piercing site. The only way to completely sterilise jewellery is with an autoclave machine, however, cleaning them with household products can greatly reduce bacteria and germs on your jewellery.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Antibacterial soap or cream
- Small dish
- Cotton ball swab
Run earrings under hot water. Place the earrings in a small bowl or dish to prevent them from falling into the drain.
Rub antibacterial soap or cream thoroughly over the earrings.
Use a cotton swab dipped in antibacterial soap to reach small nooks or detailed areas.
Let the earrings sit in the soapy mixture for a few minutes.
Rinse thoroughly in hot water and dry.
Insert the earrings immediately after cleaning to minimise the presence of new germs.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid sharing your earrings with others or purchasing used body jewellery online.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for