A tan, whether real or fake, helps your teeth look whiter and makes you look more defined by enhancing your body's contours. A fake tan can be applied right at home and does not require exposure to harmful ultraviolet radiation. This makes it a safer tanning option. If not applied thoroughly, you may end up with noticeable streaks on your body. There are several methods you can apply to help even out your fake tan.
Add 1 cup of milk to warm bath water and take a bath. Lactic acid in milk reduces the excess colour of the tan on your body. Shave your legs and scrub your body with a loofah to help exfoliate and even out the tanned skin.
Apply white vinegar to a cotton ball and wipe it on the blotchy areas of your tan to even them out.
Dip a cotton ball in lemon juice and sweep it over your streaky tan. Lemon juice contains citric acid, which helps lighten and even out your tan. Apply this method as soon as possible after applying your tan, preferably while the skin is still moist.
Massage baking soda over and around streaked areas with a wet washcloth. Baking soda has an exfoliating effect and will slough away dead skin cells. Rinse your skin with water. Avoid using baking soda on your face as this may be harsh.
Use toner on your face to help reduce the streaks. Apply bronzer to camouflage any blotches or unevenness.
Apply a dime-size amount of tan corrector to your stained skin. Scrub your skin in a circular motion with a loofah. Rinse your skin with water. Tan-correcting lotion can be purchased at your local chemist. The lotion lifts excess colour off your skin and helps even it out.
Avoid having to correct your tan by using a good quality sunless tanning products because these are less likely to cause streaks and unevenness. Skip the clear sunless tanning products and go for a tanner you can you can see on your skin so you avoid repeat applications. Exfoliate your skin with a loofah to eliminate dead skin. Your tan will be more even and last longer.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid having to correct your tan by using a good quality sunless tanning products because these are less likely to cause streaks and unevenness.
- Skip the clear sunless tanning products and go for a tanner you can you can see on your skin so you avoid repeat applications.
- Exfoliate your skin with a loofah to eliminate dead skin. Your tan will be more even and last longer.
Things you need
- 1 cup milk
- White vinegar
- Cotton balls
- Lemon Juice
- Baking Soda
- Tan Corrector
- Tan Solutions: Regretting That Cheap Fake Tan? Read Our Tips To De-Crease
- Today: Ready, Set Glow! Sunless Tanning Tips; Bobbie Thomas; June 2010
- Cosmopolitan: How To Score Glowy Skin Even In Winter
- CBS News: Beauty Quick Fixes; Brian Dakss; Aug. 2007
- Ladies' Home Journal: How To Prevent and Fix Self Tanning Disasters; Neha Gandhi