Ralph Lauren has created a range of textured paints for interior walls. The collection is reminiscent of the colours and textures of river rocks and, to that end, many of the interior paints contain sand to give walls a textured look. The paints are easy to apply, but very difficult to remove. Should you wish to remove the textured paint, there are options available to you, but the task is tedious and time-consuming.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dust sheets
- Chemical-resistant gloves
- Gel solvent
- Wide paintbrush
- Joint compound
- Putty knife
Tape off the area where you wish to remove the paint. Place dust sheets on the floor and over furniture and fixtures. Gel solvents are highly chemical and will damage surfaces they spill on. Remove the faceplates of light switches and electrical sockets.
Don your protective clothing. Gel solvents contain harsh chemicals that will irritate your skin and eyes. They also produce chemical vapours that should not be inhaled. Make sure your room is well ventilated.
Paint the gel solvent on with a wide paintbrush. Give the solvent time to lift the paint from the drywall and then scrape it off with the scraper.
Prepare the drywall for repainting. Mix the joint compound to the consistency of cake frosting with a little bit of water. Apply the joint compound and allow it to dry completely. Sand the drywall.
Tips and warnings
- You can cover up the surface with a 1/4-inch wallboard and paint over that. This does necessitate the removal of woodwork and trim, but may be easier to accomplish.
- Gel solvents contain chemicals that will irritate eyes, skin and respiratory systems. Wear protective clothing and use them only in well-ventilated areas. Keep them out of reach of children and pets.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for