You don't need to go to the nail salon to get bold, fashionable fingernails. Using a permanent marker and your own imagination, you can give yourself a truly distinctive look while saving a good chunk of change. Permanent markers are available in scores of colours, so your creative options are limitless. Solid-colour nails and intricate patterns and designs are possible.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Plan your nail design. If you're opting for a complex look, such as patterns or scenes, draw your design first on a sheet of paper. This will help you decide on colours and details.
Give your nails a coat of clear nail polish. This will prevent the permanent markers from staining your fingers and nails, and it will provide a smooth base on which to work.
Re-create your planned design on each nail using permanent markers. If you get any marker on your skin, wipe it off with a damp paper towel before it dries.
Allow your design to dry completely. This may take five to 10 minutes.
Apply a top coat of clear polish over the completed design. A second coat will lock in the colours and protect them from smudging.
Tips and warnings
- Use nontoxic markers, since you are applying chemicals topically to your body.
- Open windows and provide plenty of ventilation. Nail polish and permanent markers give off unpleasant fumes.
- If you make a mistake, wipe off the design with nail polish remover and start again.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for