Suzuki's range of Bandit motorcycles were introduced in 1991. Their stripped-down styling and capable, detuned GSX engines were met with positive feedback by riders, and the model has existed in various forms since then. The Bandit is a popular entry-level motorcycle because it is safe, reliable and predictable. Adding to this appeal is the ease of customisation. The body is a simple layout, with lots of room for modification, and the engine is a tamed version of a high-performance unit, suggesting untapped reserves of power that can be accessed with a few basic airflow modifications.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 5mm or 6mm Allen keys, depending on exhaust mounting bolts
- Performance exhaust end can
- Exhaust paste
- Performance air filter - K&N designation SU-6000
Replace the stock exhaust can with a high performance slip-on. As the name suggests, the installation procedure is very straightforward. Release the Allen bolts holding the base of the can to the exhaust pipe, and the ring clamp further up the can that holds it to the tail section.
Slide the old can out. It may require some twisting and wiggling as the exhaust paste sealing the joint will have baked hard from the heat. Once it comes free, slide the new can in. Daub approximately one tablespoon of exhaust paste onto the tip of the exhaust downpipe, before mating the new can to it. Tighten the bolts on the pipe and ring clamps.
Release the catch at the rear of the seat and lift it off the bike. Remove the two bolts underneath it that secure the tank. Have an assistant lift the tank by two inches, and reach underneath, disconnecting all the petcock hoses. Lift the tank clear and set it down. Release the two screws on top of the air-box cover and lift the lid. The standard filter will simply pop out, and the new one can be clipped in its place.
Tips and warnings
- There are, of course, countless modifications that can be made to a increase a motorcycle's power, but upgrading the aspiration components provides the largest horsepower gain for the lowest investment of time and money.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for