An alternating current adaptor transfers power from a wall outlet or power strip to the HP Compaq nc6400. The AC adaptor also charges the battery -- which allows the computer to run for a short time without receiving power from an outlet -- installed in the laptop. If the computer fails to turn on, the AC adaptor or the battery could be defective. To troubleshoot power problems on the HP Compaq nc6400, test the AC adaptor and the battery separately.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Hold down the power button to turn off the HP Compaq nc6400. Remove the AC adaptor from the power jack.
Close the lid and turn the computer over. Push the release tab on the right to unlock the battery from its compartment.
Push the release tab on the left to eject the battery. Pull the battery from its compartment.
Connect the AC adaptor to the AC power cable. Plug the power cable into a wall outlet or power strip. Connect an electronic device to the outlet to confirm the outlet works before connecting the AC adaptor to it.
Insert the other end of the AC adaptor into the HP Compaq nc6400. Press the power button. If the computer fails to turn on, replace the AC adaptor with a compatible model.
Turn off the computer and reinsert the battery into its compartment. Lock the battery in place.
Leave the AC adaptor connected to the Compaq nc6400 for at least an hour.
Disconnect the AC adaptor. Press the power button. If the computer fails to turn on, replace the battery with an identical model.
Tips and warnings
- Use the power light as a guide to determine whether or not the computer is powered on. Although it may appear as if the computer won't boot, if the power light is turned on, the computer is active.
- If the computer still fails to power on after replacing the AC adaptor, you might need to replace the AC jack.
- Don't replace the battery unless you've charged the notebook with a working AC adaptor. A defective AC adaptor won't charge the battery sufficiently.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for