Hammerite metal paint is the only material you'll need to make your metal surfaces shine again. The paint comes in a typical paint can or as a spray on as a finishing paint for metal. The canned and spray Hammerite needs no primer or undercoat unless it's being used on aluminium, galvanised, stainless steel, chrome, copper or brass finishes, can be used on rusty metal and dries in less than an hour. Using your specific Hammerite paint properly requires a few basic steps to give your metal a well-protected look.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wire brush
- Hammerite Special Metals Primer
- Putty knife (optional)
- Paint brush (optional)
Brush away the loose scale on the metal with a wire brush to prepare it for the Hammerite primer.
Apply the Hammerite primer if you are adding Hammerite paint to a surface that is aluminium, galvanised, stainless steel, chrome, copper or brass; note that the primer takes an hour to dry.
Set the Hammerite Direct-To-Rust Metal, Radiator or Garage Door paint can on a towel, and open it with the putty knife or a screwdriver. Dip the paint brush in and coat the entire surface evenly with the paint. Coat the entire surface evenly with the spray if you are using it instead of brush-on paint.
Rinse the brushes off throughly with water, if necessary, and wait at least an hour if you used either the Direct-To-Rust Metal paint or Radiator paint before you touch or use the metal surface or radiator again. Wait at least four hours if you used the Garage Door paint before you touch or use it again.
Tips and warnings
- Only use degreaser beforehand if you are painting over an especially greasy metal surface, such as those in an auto shop. Let the degreaser set, and clean it off with towels.
- Use safety glasses and rubber gloves before you clean or paint metal to protect your face and hands from paint splatters.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for