A Bialetti hob espresso maker uses steam and pressure to turn ground espresso into a concentrated coffee. The top of these espresso makers screws onto the bottom reservoir that holds the heated water and coffee grounds. In order to separate the top coffeepot and bottom tank, the Bialetti uses a filter plate and a replaceable rubber seal or gasket. After many uses the seal swells, loses its flexibility and needs to be replaced.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Replacement rubber seal
- Replacement filter plate
Unscrew the top of the Bialetti espresso maker, pull off the rubber seal from the upper coffeepot and remove the filterplate under the seal. Set them aside.
Remove the funnel from the bottom tank, then measure the opening at the top of the funnel using a measuring tape. Write the measurement down on the notepad to refer to when determining the correct size.
Go to the official BialettiShop.com website and use the "size finder" tool to determine the correct size replacement seal for your aluminium or stainless steel espresso maker.
Order the replacement seal and filterplate from the Bialetti Shop website, or take the measurements and espresso maker size information to purchase a seal from a gourmet kitchen shop that carries Bialetti replacement parts.
Tips and warnings
- Measure the outside diameter of your old seal to determine the correct replacement size as an alternative to measuring the funnel opening.
- If the old seal is very distorted or stretched, measure the funnel opening for a more accurate measurement to use to determine the correct size replacement seal.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for