Triumph introduced the first Trophy TR25 in 1968. The bike featured a 250cc engine with a single Amal carburettor that bolted on in minutes. Subsequent models had larger engines and a single carburettor that mounted as easy as its kid brother. In 1990, the Trophy 900 surprised sport bike circles with triple carburettors that require a degree in mechanical engineering to install and coordinate the throttle response. Save time and headaches by entrusting a newer Trophy to a qualified mechanic. Install a single carburettor on your Triumph Trophy using standard gauge tools.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Amal carburettor (year and engine size of your motorcycle)
- Intake gasket
- Standard gauge wrenches
- Fuel line clamp
Identify the air-intake flange on the carburettor by bolt holes near the outer edges of the flange. Identify the throttle cable adjuster and locknut at the top of the carburettor.
Press the intake gasket into the gasket recess on the face of the air-intake flange by hand.
Working from one side of the engine, hold the carburettor upright (cable adjuster up) and push the air-intake flange onto the intake manifold studs. Hold the carburettor in place and thread a hex-head nut clockwise onto each stud. Tighten the nuts with a standard gauge wrench.
Loosen the cable adjuster locknut at the base of the throttle cable adjuster two turns counterclockwise with a wrench. Remove the cable adjuster counterclockwise from the carburettor cap by hand.
Push the stranded steel portion at the end of your throttle cable into the cable slot on the adjuster. Pull the cable up until the ball-end seats against the bottom of the adjuster. Thread the adjuster clockwise into the carburettor cap by hand. The locknut is tightened after the cable is adjusted.
Slide the fuel line clamp onto the end of the fuel line. Push the end of the fuel line onto the brass fuel nozzle at the side of the carburettor. Position the clamp 1/8-inch from the end of the line. Tighten the clamp screw clockwise with a screwdriver.
Tips and warnings
- Refer to your Triumph workshop manual for throttle cable adjustment information.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- MCS Motorcycle Specifications: Triumph Trophy TRST Trail 500
- MCS Motorcycle Specifications: 1970 Triumph Trophy TR6C Special
- Ian Chadwick: Triumph Motorcycle Models
- Dan's Motorcycle: Amal Concentric Carburetor
- Moto-Bike Parts Diagram: Dellorto Motorcycle Carburetor Component Diagram and Principal Parts