Bowling ramps are used to provide handicapped people a way to participate in the sport of bowling. Wheelchair bowlers abide by most of the same rules as traditional bowlers. The only difference is the method of how the bowling ball is put into play. The wheelchair bowling ramp is placed at the beginning of the bowling lane and facing the bowling pins. The bowler pushes the ball down the metal ramp onto the lane. A bowling ramp can be quickly assembled with the right tools and resources.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Welding torch
- Welding mask
- Welding gloves
- MIG welding wire
- U-frame aluminium alloy (25 inches by 25 inches)
- 2 aluminium alloy ramp rods (58 inches each)
- 2 aluminium brace bars (6 inches each)
- 2 socket weld fittings
- 4 rubber feet
- Bowling ball
Align the top of the alloy ramp rods to the middle of the U-frame. Attach the socket weld fittings on the top end of the ramp rods. Attach the other end of the weld fittings to the U-frame.
Put on the welding mask and gloves. Turn the acetylene gas valve on. Light the welding torch flame with the striker. Increase or decrease the flame strength with the gas valve regulator.
Feed the MIG wire through the welding torch. Weld the areas around the edges of the socket weld joints. Weld the metal brace bars underneath the ramp, spacing the brace bars evenly along the ramp. Turn the gas valve off. Once completed, the ramp should look like a small slide. When viewing it from the side, the bowling ramp will form the outline of a triangle.
Attach the rubber feet to the bottom of the ramp and to the bottom ends of the u-frame.
Test the bowling ramp by placing a bowling ball at the top of the ramp. Give the ball a light push and observe the ball sliding down the ramp.
Tips and warnings
- Never light the welding torch with materials other than the striker.
- Make sure your work area is well-ventilated and free of petroleum and grease when operating welding equipment.
- Wear long sleeves when welding to prevent being burnt.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for