Vinyl and plastic are frequently found throughout a household and are used in many bathroom and kitchen items and surfaces where exposure to water and cleaners is prevalent. Both hard water and cleaning supplies can help create a cloudy film on vinyl and plastic surfaces. Whether the cloudy film is due to mineral deposits or improper cleaning supplies and techniques, it can be removed with simple home remedies..
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Washing powder
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Old towels
Treat hard plastic and vinyl surfaces such as containers, tile and appliances with a spray bottle filled with white vinegar. Spray the vinegar on the surface and allow it to sit for a few minutes to loosen mineral deposits, soap scum and other matter that's clouding the surface.
Wipe the plastic or vinyl surface off with a clean cloth to remove the vinegar and cloudy film. Buff vinyl surfaces with a dry cloth to make them shine.
Clear cloudy vinyl and plastic shower curtains in the wash machine. Place the shower curtains in the machine with washing powder and 1/2 cup baking soda to help remove hard water stains and soap scum causing an opaque film. Toss a couple towels in with the shower curtains to prevent them from bunching up in the wash machine.
Add 1 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle. Vinegar is a mild acetic known to remove mineral deposits and break down soap scum. Hang the clean shower curtains to dry in the shower.
Tips and warnings
- Rub lemon halves on cloudy plastic or vinyl to remove cloudy film caused by hard water.
- Always wipe dirty vinyl surfaces with mild vinegar or plain water before buffing dry. Attempting to shine vinyl by applying wax or polishes can contribute toward a dull, cloudy appearance.
- Use clean cloths and sponges when cleaning plastic and vinyl. Change cloths frequently during the cleaning process so dirt isn't transferred back to the surface in the form of a cloudy film.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for