Instant dry yeast is a dry form of yeast added to flour for baking bread. Different from active dry yeast and cake yeast, you don't have to dissolve instant yeast in water before use. Sold in packets and cubes at grocery stores, dry yeast allows bread to be baked in a shorter amount of time than other yeasts, such as cake yeast. Instant yeast may be left to ferment in bread dough for a fluffier and tasty bread loaf.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Mixing bowl
- Instant dry yeast packet
- Instant dry yeast cube
- Cooking spoon
- Bread machine
Fill a mixing bowl with the ingredients indicated in the recipe. For example, if you are making simple pizza dough, add 2 cups of flour to the mixing bowl without other ingredients. Read the instruction manual when using a bread machine, as the ingredient order may be different. For example, you may need to add liquids before the dry ingredients.
Pour in the amount of instant dry yeast indicated in the recipe into the mixing bowl. One packet of ¼-oz. instant dry yeast is equal to 2 1/4 tsps. of yeast, while one 170gr. cube of compressed yeast equals 1 1/2 tsps. of instant yeast. Pour 1/2-tsp instant dry yeast in bread machines for every 1 cup of flour when using a regular cycle. Add double the indicated amount in the recipe for express and one-hour bread machine cycle settings.
Mix the flour and dry yeast together with a cooking spoon. Add water or other liquid ingredients to the mixing bowl. You must heat liquid ingredients to a temperature of 48.9 to 54.4 degrees Celsius before pouring them into the flour-and-yeast mixture. Warm liquid temperatures to 26.7 degrees Celsius when mixing with a bread machine.
Combine and mix all ingredients in the bowl to form the dough. Set bread machines to the desired cycle, such as "regular" or "express." Then set the dough in a warm dry place for one hour, or as indicated in the recipe, before baking.
Tips and warnings
- Store closed instant dry yeast packets in a cool dry place, such as a pantry, for up to four months.
- Store open instant dry yeast in an airtight plastic container for up to four months.
- Keep instant dry yeast from coming in contact with sugar and salt as it may lessen yeast activity.
- Use a cooking thermometer to read the temperature of the water.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for