Many people think of auto restoration in terms of painting and auto body repair. However, the interior of your car needs attention from time to time. Your dashboard bezel, the rim that fits around your gauges and speedometer, often becomes cracked and scratched with age. If your bezel is made from polycarbonate, you can remedy this problem with a few supplies from the auto section of many retail stores. Restoring polycarbonate dash bezels is not time-consuming and is cheaper than replacing the bezel.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Microfiber cloths
- Coarse plastic polish
- Fine plastic polish
- Plastic cleaner
- Screwdriver (if necessary)
Clean the bezel. Use a cleaner that is safe for polycarbonate such as Plexus, Novus #1 or Brillianize. These products do not contain ammonia, which is harmful to plastics. Since you will be polishing the scratches and cracks, make sure that you get all dust and dirt off the bezel's surface. The dirt could create more scratches when you start polishing.
Apply a coarser polish with a microfiber cloth to the bezel. Work in circular motions until you cover the whole bezel with the compound. Then use a clean cloth to wipe off all polish.
Apply a finer polish. This is the finishing polish that restores the bezel's lustre and shine. Apply it in the same way as you did the coarser version, wiping off all the compound when you're done.
Clean the bezel again. Using the same plastic cleaner and a clean cloth, spray down the bezel again and wipe clean. This protects your bezel, helping the polycarbonate resist scratching.
Re-install the bezel by snapping it into place or replacing its screws.
Tips and warnings
- While you have the bezel off the dashboard, polish your gauge cover. Plastics such as acrylic or polycarbonate normally cover the gauges. This means you can use the same products for them as you did on your bezel. Polishing the gauges not only makes the dashboard look nicer, it helps you to read your gauges more easily.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for