A blown head gasket in a Mitsubishi 3000GT can impact the engine's performance, as well as the vehicle's fuel efficiency. When there is a hole in the gasket or it is overheated, the coolant can mix with the engine oil and damage the block. When a head gasket leak develops, it makes a tapping noise. Replacing the gasket takes between 4 to 6 hours of complete.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Safety glasses
- Automotive wrenches and screwdrivers
- Socket set
- Mitsubishi MD998754 torque wrench
- Mitsubishi MD998051 torque wrench
Drain the coolant and oil from the engine. Remove the intake manifold. Unscrew the exhaust manifold.
Remove the camshaft sprocket from the camshaft using the MD998754 torque wrench. Remove the timing belt rear cover. Remove the timing belt. Unscrew the power-steering pump-bracket connection and generator-brace connection.
Disconnect the vacuum-pipe assembly. Remove the rocker-arm cover. Using the MD998051 torque wrench, unscrew the cylinder-head bolts. Take out the cylinder head. Remove the old cylinder head from the engine block.
Lay the cylinder head gasket on the cylinder block with the identification mark at the front top. Follow the operations above to reassemble the removed parts.
Tips and warnings
- Mitsubishi still supplies the head gaskets for the 3000GT model. The OEM part number is MD165614, and the recommended manufacturer price is £38.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable before performing any maintenance work on the engine to prevent electrical shock or accidental starting. Remove the nut from the negative post with a box-end wrench. Lift the cable from your battery, move it outside of the battery box and close the lid of the battery box.
- Clean all dirt, debris and coolant from the engine block cylinder head bolt holes. Failure to remove all foreign material may result in damaged threads, improperly tightened fasteners or damage to components.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for