It is very common for car starters and alternators to wear out after years of constant use. Replacement of either part can be costly if purchased new, but reconditioned alternators and starters can lessen the expense and work just as well. Finding used parts in need of refurbishment, performing the work and selling them to parts outlets is a great way to make extra money or even start your own business and getting things going may be easier than you think.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Visit local junkyards for parts. You will often find rows of old alternators lined up on shelves or dozens of wrecked cars with usable starters just sitting in the junkyard waiting to be picked up. Prices for junk parts are cheap, especially if you buy in bulk. Some junkyard parts have been salvaged from late model cars and are in perfect working order, other may require a total overhaul.
Visit local mechanics and inquire about purchasing any junk parts they may come across in the process of making repairs. Check service station trash for alternators and starters being tossed away at the end of the day. The less you pay for your used parts, the more profit is involved when you resell them.
Order alternator and starter rebuild kits online at any of the online parts wholesalers. These kits contain everything you will need to replace all the internal parts and return the alternator or starter to perfect working condition. Follow the included instructions to perform the work. Appearance is equally important as function in most cases so refinish the exterior of each starter and alternator as well.
Offer to supply local mechanics with rebuilt parts for a competitive rate. Display the quality of your rebuilds and provide a demonstration of functionality. Contact online retailers who buy and sell used parts on a grand scale. They are often looking for more suppliers to meet demand. Online selling sites like eBay are another good option.
Tips and warnings
- Presentation is a key element in rebuilds. If a part looks new it will go along way to showing the customer that it is a good option for their vehicle.
- As the economy slowed, the used car and used parts businesses expanded. Savings are more important than ever now and people are happy to purchase rebuilt parts at a significant discount over new.
- Make sure your customers know that the parts you are selling are not new. Fraudulent parts sales is a crime.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for