When an ordinary wall shelf won't do, you can build a slanted wall shelf. A contemporary room with modern furnishings will be complemented by this shelf that resembles a backward "L" and is installed at an angle on the wall. The contents of the shelf are held in place by a board at the bottom. You can create a visually appealing wall by building several of these shelves and installing them on the wall in a pattern or a random configuration. The shelf is held on the wall using keyhole slots. The slots slide over screws in the wall and lock in place.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1-inch by 10-inch board, 24 inches long
- 1-inch by 10-inch board, 12 inches long
- Box wood screws
- Wood finish
- Screw gun
- 6 keyhole slots, with screws
- Eye protection
Place the 1-inch by 10-inch by 24-inch board with the 1-inch by 24-inch edge flat on a work surface.
Position the 1-inch by 10-inch by 12-inch board at one end of the 1-inch by 10-inch by 24-inch board with the 1-inch by 12-inch edge flat on the work surface to create a backward "L" shape.
Drive four evenly spaced wood screws through the bottom of the 1-inch by 10-inch by 12-inch board into the end of the 1-inch by 10-inch by 24-inch board, using a screw gun.
Sand the assembly with fine-grit sandpaper in the same direction as the wood grain until it is smooth.
Apply a wood finish to the assembly, using a paintbrush. Allow the finish to dry for 24 hours.
Install two evenly spaced keyhole slots on one 1-inch by 12-inch edge of the 1-inch by 10-inch by 12-inch board by driving the provided screws through the mounting holes in the slots into the edge of the board. Install four evenly spaced keyhole slots in the same manner on the same 1-inch by 24-inch edge of the 1-inch by 10-inch by 24-inch board.
Tips and warnings
- Install the backward L-shaped shelf at a 30- to 45-degree angle to create a slanted wall shelf with visual interest.
- Wear eye protection when operating a screw gun.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for