Making games using Adobe Flash is difficult but rewarding. Flash is an application that is used to add rich media to different devices, most often on the Internet. With Flash, games, animations and even websites can be created. In order to develop games easily with Flash, previous experience working with the ActionScript3 programming language is essential. With knowledge of ActionScript3 and Adobe Flash, there is a simple process to be followed in order to develop any type of game, such as a side scrolling one.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Adobe Flash Professional CS5
Create ideas for your side scrolling game. Design characters, themes and levels.
Open Adobe Flash Professional CS5, select "Create New ActionScript 3 Program."
Insert the images you designed while brainstorming. Insert your background for the side scrolling by selecting "Layers" and then "Background Graphics." Insert characters and other interacting images by selecting "Layers" and "Foreground Graphics."
Implement animation into your character images by double-clicking and selecting "Add a control" under the "Layers" tab.
Define the rules of the game by writing scripts using ActionScript3. Click "Window" and then select "Action" to open the window for programming.
Launch the compiler for ActionScript3 to test your script for errors.
Save your completed game by selecting "File" and "Save As..." to save it to the desktop as an SWF file.
Tips and warnings
- Learning how to use an easier programming language such as Visual Basic will prepare you for the difficulties of ActionScript3. Practice making basic programs before attempting to make a game.
- Running programs with potentially harmful code can be damaging to your computer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for