Tiffany lamps are known for their ornate bases and stain glassed shades. Tiffany bases are constructed of either decorative glass or antiqued brass. When you are looking for a lamp base for your Tiffany lampshade but cannot find exactly what you are looking for, build your own. Adding a Tiffany shade to your lamp base is the perfect accent to dress up any room.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Masking tape
- Lamp socket kit with a #18 cord
- Threading pipe
- Glue suitable for metal, glass and/or ceramic
- Light bulb
- Tiffany lampshade
Select a vase shape and colour that will go well with your lampshade. You will want a vase that is simple in colour but ornate in design. You may even use a vase that is the same stained glass design as your shade.
Place a piece of masking tape near the bottom of the lamp on one side. Drill a hole that is large enough for your wire to be threaded through it. Drill very slowly. Drill through the tape. Be very careful not to break your vase as you drill.
Mount your lamp socket. Glue a small threaded pipe to the top of your lamp and mount your lamp socket to the pipe.
Thread the wire down through the lamp and through the hole you drilled in the bottom of the vase.
Attach the plug to the wires. Be careful to attach the correct wires to the correct sides of the plug.
Double-check your wires to be sure everything is secure.
Screw in the light bulb and attach your Tiffany lampshade.
Tips and warnings
- If you want a pedestal Tiffany lamp base, you can always use a hollowed out piece of wood and paint it with a textured paint in a brass colour.
- You can also repurpose old lamp bases by painting them a brass or bronze colour.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for