Not only do eyeglasses serve a funtional purpose, but they can also serve as a fashion accessory. If you need to update the colour or repair a scratch to your eyeglass frames, painting your eyeglasses is an option to explore. Eyglass frames can be composed of plastic or metal; however, plastic frames are generally easier to paint. Updating your eyeware look does not have to be difficult and can be done inexpensively.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Paint remover
- Plastic cling wrap
- Small paint brush
- Paint primer
- Latex paint forumated for plastic or metal
Prepare the eyeglasses for painting. Although you can paint metal, plastic eyeglasses are preferable for painting. Rub the eyeglass frames with sandpaper. The paint will not stick on a smooth surface, so the sandpaper will make the surface uneven. Once the surface of the eyeglasses is rough to the touch, clean the glasses with soap and water. Home improvement expert Danny Lipford recommends an application of paint remover to ensure that the paint will adhere to the frames.
Cover the lenses with plastic cling wrap. Cling wrap will provide coverage and prevent paint from spattering on your lenses.Cut the plastic cling wrap into small pieces to fit the size of your lenses.
Spread newspaper in the painting location. Lay the glasses on the newspaper and paint the eyeglasses with a primer. A primer is useful to ensure that your paint colour will stay on the eyeglasses. Let the primer dry for 10 minutes.
Apply the paint to the eyeglasses. Take a small paint brush and carefully apply the paint to the frames. Wait at least 10 minutes before applying a second coat of paint to the glasses. Allow the glasses to dry for 12 hours.
Remove the plastic cling wrap. If paint got on your lenses, apply acetone with a cotton swab to remove any splatters.
Tips and warnings
- Test your paint colour on another surace to determine if you have chosen the correct colour. Make sure the surfaces are similar in composition. For instance, if you are painting plastic eyeglasses, test your paint colour on a similar plastic surface.
- Use paint in a well-ventilated area.
- Follow the instructions on the paint can to prevent injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for