The myelin sheath assists nerves with signal transmission. If the sheath is damaged, problems with memory, specific movements and functions are common. Certain autoimmune diseases and outside chemical factors, such as food pesticides, can damage the myelin sheath. For foods to assist in regeneration of this nerve covering, you must remove the damaging chemicals from the diet and lifestyle. In addition, you'll need specific minerals and fats, preferably obtained through a nutrient-dense diet.
Things you need
Eat foods high in choline and inositol. These amino acids are crucial to myelin sheath repair. Choline is found in eggs, beef, beans and some nuts. It assists in preventing fatty deposits from forming in the body. Inositol supports a healthy nervous system by aiding in the creation of serotonin. Nuts, vegetables and bananas contain inositol. The two amino acids combine to produce lecithin, which reduces bad fats in the bloodstream. High cholesterol and fats are known to prevent myelin sheath repair.
Eat foods rich in B vitamins. Vitamin B-1, also called thiamine, and B-12 are physical components of the myelin sheath. Foods containing B-1 include rice, spinach, lintels and pork. Vitamin B-5 can be found in yoghurt and tuna. Whole grains are rich in B vitamins and many cereals are fortified with them. Dairy foods are also rich in vitamin B. These nutrients enhance the metabolism, which burns fats from the body, and they carry oxygen.
Add fatty acids to your diet. Fatty acids enhance the sheath's fat content. Flaxseed, fish oils, salmon, walnuts and kidney beans are dense with Omega-3 fatty acids. The myelin sheath is 70 per cent fat, all of which comes from such fatty acids. Oleic acid is a major natural contributor to that content. Olive oils, avocados and nuts contain oleic acid.
Add foods that contain copper. The myelin sheath regenerates using lipids, which can only be created using a copper-dependent enzyme. Without this assistance, other nutrients cannot do their job. Copper is found in lentils, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and semisweet chocolate. Liver and seafood may also contain copper in lower doses. Dried herbs such as oregano and thyme are an easy way to add the mineral to your diet.
- Milk, eggs and antacids can interfere with copper absorption. Exchange olive oil for butter in cooking recipes. B vitamins are excreted when consumed in excess and are not a danger to the body. Include the daily recommendation of all vitamins and nutrients.
- Overdoses of copper can cause serious problems for the mind and body. Natural consumption of the mineral is best. Natural methods, such as food intake, are a supplement to the care provided by a medical doctor.
Tips and Warnings
- Milk, eggs and antacids can interfere with copper absorption.
- Exchange olive oil for butter in cooking recipes.
- B vitamins are excreted when consumed in excess and are not a danger to the body.
- Include the daily recommendation of all vitamins and nutrients.
- Overdoses of copper can cause serious problems for the mind and body. Natural consumption of the mineral is best.
- Natural methods, such as food intake, are a supplement to the care provided by a medical doctor.
Things you need
- Olive Oil
- Whole grains