Clear plastic make-up bags are convenient -- you can see everything at once, and you don't have to dig around to search for tiny items like hairpins. But make-up bags can get dirty. With breath mints, hand lotions, hair brushes, and sometimes even food items loose in a bag, it isn't long until the bag can use a comprehensive scrubbing.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Scrub brush
- Dish-washing detergent or clothes detergent
- Clean rag
- Paper towels
- Antibacterial spray
Empty the clear plastic bag completely, and if possible, turn it inside out. This will give you access to all the corners and nooks you can't fit your fingers into. Use a scrub brush with rigid bristles to clean out strands of hair, bits of tissue, eyeliner shavings, and other crumbs stuck in the crevices.
Wash the bag with soapy water. You can throw it in the washing machine, as long as it didn't come with a tag saying that you shouldn't. Or, hold it under the faucet and clean it inside and out with a sponge and dish-washing detergent. Plastic make-up bags are very durable, and are made to withstand liquids.
Dry the bag with a clean, absorbent rag. Use a paper towel to dry out the corners and crevices. Allow the bag to air-dry for two to three hours before putting your items back in. You can also hold the bag under a hand dryer or hair dryer for a few minutes to dry it more quickly.
Spray the bag with antibacterial spray. Make-up is a magnet for bacteria. Your make-up bag could be carrying any number of germs.
Toss out old make-up. You will keep your bag clean longer by throwing away old make-up and items you don't use.
Tips and warnings
- You should use either dish-washing detergent or clothes detergent to clean your bag. Hand and body soaps are usually infused with oils or lotions that can leave a film on the bag.
- Old make-up can hoard bacteria and transfer them to your skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for