Mould and mildew are not only ugly, they can be a health hazard. When breathed in, the spores can cause chronic cough, nasal decongestant and sinus headaches. Severe sufferers can have difficulty breathing, resulting in a life threatening condition. Mould in the bedroom is especially hazardous because you spend your sleeping hours exposed to it. It is important to remove mould and mildew immediately.
Create a mixture of 118 ml (1/2 cup) bleach, 79 ml (1/3 cup) washing powder and 3.8 litres (1 gallon) of hot water. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture.
Put on rubber gloves and a dust mask. Mould and mildew release spores, which you don't want to breathe in, when disturbed. Open windows to ventilate the room to reduce your exposure to bleach fumes.
Spray the mould with the solution, working from the top of the wall down.
Gently scrub the mould off with a plastic scrub sponge. If the mould is on the ceiling, skip the spray bottle and scrub with mixture directly out of a bucket.
Rinse the area with clean water and let it dry.
Vacuum furniture to remove any loose mould spores.
Mix 79 ml (1/3 cup) of washing powder into 3.8 litre (1 gallon) of hot water. Do not use bleach in this mixture as it may strip colour out of upholstery and finishes.
Scrub the affected areas of the furniture with the soapy water using a scrub brush.
Rinse the furniture with clean water and allow it to dry.
Commercial mould and mildew cleaning solutions are available for purchase if you don't want to make your own. Consider installing a dehumidifier in the room to keep mould from returning. The humidity level of the room should be 50 per cent or lower to discourage mould and mildew. You can also paint the room with paint containing an anti-mold agent if this is a regular problem.
Be careful not to let the cleaning solution (which contains bleach) drip onto carpeting or fabric.