After you buy quality towels, they begin to lose the softness and fluffiness after each wash. The towels lose their fluffiness and softness because of residual soap build-up and the minerals found in hard water. The stiff and scratchy towels are unpleasant to use. Instead of throwing these towels away or dealing with the unpleasant texture, you can use items around your home to keep them soft.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Washing powder
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 cup white vinegar
Place the towels in the washing machine. Avoid stuffing too many in the washing machine because they will not get as clean. Wash the towels together separate from other clothes.
Add the recommended amount of regular washing powder and 1/2 cup of baking soda. The baking soda will help restore the fluffiness. Adding too much detergent can cause the towels to harden.
Add 1 cup of white vinegar to the washing machine during the rinse cycle. The vinegar will cut through the residue that detergents often leave behind on the towels.
Dry the towels on the lowest setting. The heat can damage the fabric. You can also hang them outside to dry to help keep them fluffy.
Tips and warnings
- Add a commercial water softener to your load of laundry if you have hard water. Follow the instructions on the package to ensure that you add it properly.
- Add a tennis ball to the towels when you dry them. Only use a tennis ball that you set aside specifically for dryer. The tennis ball will keep the towels fluffy and it will help to reduce the drying time.
- Wash new towels in hot water with 1/2 cup of baking soda to remove residue.
- Use fabric softeners and drying sheets sparingly because they can make towels less absorbent.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- New Mexico State University; Getting Clothes Clean; Susan Wright; April 2006
- "The Houston Chronicle"; What Can Keep Towels Soft? Heloise; February 2010
- "The Boston Globe"; How to Get Line Dried Towels Fluffy Again; Ask Martha; August 2010
- Long Island Families: Luxorious Laundry: Tricks of the Trade for Keeping Towels and Sheets Soft and Fluffy; Mia Bolaris-Forget