The description "Sisal rug" traditionally refers to a type of rug that has a weave made of strong Agave sisalana plant fibres. Some people incorrectly refer to all woven natural plant fibre rugs as Sisal rugs. Whether you're using the term to describe a true Sisal-based rug or another type of plant fibre rug such as jute or seagrass, the method to clean red wine from all natural plant fibre rugs is the same.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Low-lint white cloths
- Carbonated water
- Spray bottle
- Mild detergent
- Hair dryer (optional)
Dampen a clean, white low-lint cloth with carbonated water.
Blot the red wine from the outer edge of the stain toward the centre. If you're cleaning the stain from the binding along the rug's edge, blot toward the edge. Repeat with additional cloths and water as needed until the stain fades.
Fill a spray bottle with cool water and 1/2 to 1 tsp mild detergent -- such as mild dish detergent, mild hand-washed garment detergent or mild liquid hand soap -- if some of the stain remains. Cap and shake the bottle.
Spray the solution onto a fresh cloth. Continue blotting the stain.
Rinse the soap away by blotting the area again with a water-only damp cloth.
Dry the rug with a household fan or with a hair dryer set to the "No Heat" setting.
Tips and warnings
- If the wine soaked through the fibres and out the back of the rug, use the same cleaning method on both sides. To dry the rug, stand it on the edge of one of its long sides and then dry with the fan or hair dryer.
- Never allow red wine to dry on your rug.
- Always blot the stain from the edges of the stain to the centre to stop the wine from spreading into unstained areas.
- Rubbing or scrubbing the stained area can damage your rug.
- Saturating the rug with liquid will break down the plant fibres and promote mould growth.
- Never use harsh cleaners.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for