Are people offering you extra breath mints lately? Your bad breath might be a symptom of periodontal or gum disease. Gum disease can lead to many undesirable outcomes such as a smelly breath, but the problem has also been linked to serious health issues such as heart disease. Researchers from the Osaka University have found that Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) can help dental problems when applied directly to gums. CoQ10 is an antioxidant and contains anti-inflammatory properties, which can improve gum diseases. The addition of CoQ10 to your morning routine could prove beneficial to your dental health.
Find a reputable place to purchase the CoQ10. Investigate online vendors such as Amazon.com. CoQ10 is also sold in neighbourhood drugstores and pharmacies. Shop around and compare prices to ensure you are getting a good deal for your supplement. CoQ10 commonly comes in a soft gel capsule form, but the product also come in powder form.
Split one or two of the CoQ10 capsules in half using a knife or other sharp object. Squeeze the gel material onto a toothbrush and use the brush to apply the gel to your gums. You may also use your finger or a cotton swab to apply CoQ10 gel directly to the gums.
Create a CoQ10 mouthwash. Take some of the powdered CoQ10 and mix a teaspoon in a small glass of water. Drink the liquid, but do not swallow. Swish this mixture around your mouth as you would a commercial mouthwash.
Look for dental care products containing CoQ10. Some commercial toothpastes list CoQ10 as an ingredient, such as Jason Natural Cosmetics's Healthy Mouth Plus CoQ10 toothpaste. Purchasing toothpastes containing CoQ10 is a convenient way to topically apply the antioxidant. Ask your dentist if he can recommend some commercial products containing CoQ10 if you don't have time to apply the CoQ10 gel directly to the gums.
Brush your teeth before applying the CoQ10 so that the antioxidant is not brushed away. For extra gum protection, try the CoQ10 mouthwash and then apply the CoQ10 directly to the gums.
Be careful when cutting the CoQ10 capsules with the knife or sharp object.
Tips and warnings
- Brush your teeth before applying the CoQ10 so that the antioxidant is not brushed away.
- For extra gum protection, try the CoQ10 mouthwash and then apply the CoQ10 directly to the gums.
- Be careful when cutting the CoQ10 capsules with the knife or sharp object.
Things you need
- CoQ10 capsules
- CoQ10 powder
- Knife or sharp object
- "Stroke", Dental and Periodontal Status and Risk for Progression of Carotid Atherosclerosis; Thomas Schillinger, et al.; August, 2006
- "Molecular Aspects of Medicine"; Effect of Topical Application of Coenzyme Q10 on Adult Periodontitis; T. Hanioka, et al.; 1994
- "Inside Dentistry"; Coenzyme Q10 and the Treatment of Periodontitis; Dennis Flanagan, DDS; November, 2006.
- "Reversing Gum Disease Naturally: A Holistic Home Care Program"; Sandra Senzon; 2003