Black is a powerful and bold colour to dye your hair, as it is typically available only in permanent and semi-permanent varieties. Black-dyed hair is difficult to recolor or highlight because trying lay a lighter hue over a dark hue is not usually effective. However, highlighting your black dyed hair is possible if you use the correct beauty supplies. Apart from using proper beauty supplies, you must take special preparations beforehand to ensure you do not damage your hair in the process.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Hydrating shampoo and conditioner
- Highlighting hair dye
- Mixing bowl
- 40 oxidising emulsion cream
- Dye application brush
Allow your hair to rest for two weeks after colouring with black dye. Permanent and semi-permanent hair dyes contain several harsh chemicals that weaken your hair's structure. You risk causing severe breakage if you try highlighting your hair before it has had time to rest.
Wash your hair two days before you plan to highlight it. Use hydrating shampoo and conditioner to help revitalise your hair.
Mix your chosen colour of highlighting hair dye per your manufacturer's instructions. Pour it into a mixing bowl you do not plan to use for anything else.
Pour an amount of 40 oxidising emulsifying cream into the mixing bowl, approximately equal to the amount of highlighting solution. Oxidising emulsifying cream is available for purchase in strengths 1 through 40 from beauty supply stores.
Mix the dye and emulsifying cream thoroughly with a dye-application brush.
Apply the mixture to your hair using the brush. Ensure you completely coat the sections of hair you would like to highlight in the dye cream. Allow it to set for the maximum time specified by the dye manufacturer.
Wash your hair in warm water to rinse away the dye before shampooing and conditioning. Pat your hair dry with a towel.
Tips and warnings
- If the highlights did not take to your hair, do not attempt to highlight it a second time. Consult with a professional hair stylist.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- "How to Create the Perfect Cut, Shape, Color, and Perm for Any Hair Type: Secrets and Techniques from a Master Hair Stylist"; Cosmo Easterly; 2009
- "The Art of Hair Colouring"; David Adams and Jacki Wadeson; 1998
- "Milady's Standard Cosmetology: Haircoloring and Chemical Texture Services"; Milady; 2010