Cheerleader costumes are popular choices for girls who want to dress up for Halloween. The costumes available in fancy dress stores can often be expensive, especially if it may be worn only once. However, a cheerleader outfit is easy to put together yourself at home. Save yourself money by creating a homemade costume in time for the Halloween period.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Iron-on adhesive
- Trash bags
- Duct tape
Choose a colour scheme. Model the cheerleading costume on a particular team with colours to match accordingly. Alternatively, simply choose a colour that you like.
Find a skirt and top combination that matches the intended colour scheme. This may be something you already have in the closet or something that you could pick up in a second-hand store. You could choose a tank top or one with longer sleeves.
Create a team name for the top. Write the letters of the team name on a piece of felt and cut them out. Use an iron-on adhesive to stick the letters onto the top. Place the adhesive onto the felt letters and place them adhesive-side down onto the top. Iron over the letters on low setting to stick them on.
Find a pair of sneakers to match the costume. Plain white sneakers will match any colour combination. Wear plain white socks or brightly coloured ones that complement the skirt and top.
Use a piece of ribbon that matches the colour scheme as a hair tie. For an authentic cheerleader outfit, gather your hair into a high ponytail and add a few curls with a curling iron. Tie the ribbon around the base of your ponytail.
Buy or make pom-poms. Tinsel pom-poms are available for cheap at a fancy dress store. You could also buy trash bags that match the colour scheme, such as white, black or pink, to make your own. Cut several trash bags into strips, and use duct tape to secure the strips together to create handles.
Tips and warnings
- Get together with friends to make your costumes together. Each create a uniform and dress up as a cheerleading squad for Halloween.
- Older girls may wish to go as a zombie cheerleader. In this case, tear the bottom of the costume to create a jagged effect. Apply white face paint to your face and talcum powder to your hair for an undead look.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for