Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses have been around since 1952, making comebacks in both the 1980s with their prominent appearance in movies and television shows, and again in the late 2000s on the faces of actors. While they are stylish, they are prone to breaking or loosening at the hinges from repeated wear. If you own a pair of authentic Ray-Ban Wayfarers and have noticed one of the hinges coming loose, you can use a small eyeglass repair kit or paper clip to repair it.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Eyeglass repair kit
- Bright light or magnifying glass
- Paper clip
Locate the hinge on your Wayfarers. Look inside the hinge for a small silver screw. Use a bright light, magnifying glass or ask for assistance if the hinge is too small for you to notice the detail.
Replace any missing screws with a screw from an eyeglass repair kit. If the screw is not missing but is loose, tighten it with the small screwdriver provided in the kit. Tighten the screw only until it is secure to avoid breaking your Wayfarers.
Use a paper clip or another instrument with a tiny point at the end to hold the spring in the hinge while you tighten the screw, if your Wayfarers are of the newer variety. Make sure you are applying enough tension to keep the spring from turning with the screw and screwdriver. Use a spring from your repair kit to replace the one in the Wayfarers if it is broken or missing.
Tips and warnings
- Purchase spare screws or springs from an optician, sunglass shop or the Internet if your eyeglass repair kit does not have any or you have used them all.
- Store your glasses in a hard case or somewhere safe when you are not wearing them to keep them from getting broken and to keep the hinges from loosening or breaking.
- Do not force a hinge open or closed if it is stuck, since this can cause your Wayfarers to break. Repair the hinge, then attempt to move the arms.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for