Go-karts have always been a popular pastime for children and adults alike. Making a go-kart is an ideal father and son weekend project. When constructing a wooden go-kart it is important to have experience with woodworking, carpentry or work with someone who does. Go-karts come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They can also be built to reach your desired speed, even going up to 20 miles per hour.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 Steering bolts
- 1 ½-inch screw
- Paint or varnish
- 4 Electrician's metal saddles
- 2 Eye Screws
- 3 ½-inch-by-1 ½ inch axle wood ¾ inches thick
- 2 fixed axles with wheels
- Seat Material
- Wood clamps
Cut the wood for your cart's middle piece and axles. The middle piece should be 3ft. 9 in. and the axles should be 17 inches.
Sand wood to smooth out roughly cut edges.
Paint or varnish wood and allow time for drying.
Connect axle to short piece of wood. Place two or three electrician saddles on the axle. Secure axle with a 1 ½-inch screw.
Connect long wood piece on ends to the axles. There must be some overhang on each side. Secure piece with wooden clamp.
Place the steering bolts in go cart. Allow nuts to bolts to only be partially threaded so the bolts may turn.
Tie rope to ends of the front axle. Ensure the tie is a bowline knot for the ends. See resources for instructions on tying a bowline knot. Feet should be set on the steering bar for these plans. The rope is held securely to manoeuvre easily.
Add seats with material of choice.
Tips and warnings
- Metal saddles are saddle shaped supports that fit the contour of the object resting on it.
- More saddles may need to be used based on the size of the go cart.
- The steering bolt should be in the middle in the rear and front to prevent the go cart from pivoting.
- Some examples of seat material include upholstery tacks, vinyl or foam. Carpet stores may have material to cover seats.
- Make sure the go cart has enough room for feet.
- Wear protective clothing when operating the go cart.
- Ensure the go cart does not go too fast for personal preference.
- Drive on level ground.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for