Angels symbolise hope, joy, comfort and protection for many people. Angel-lovers often collect keepsakes like angel statues, charms and pins. If you are an angel-lover or need a gift for someone who is, wire angel pins make thoughtful handmade gifts. These playful little pins are infinitely customisable and make the perfect adornments for lapels, purses or even hats.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 22-gauge craft wire
- Wire nips
- 4mm pearl or gemstone beads
- 12mm pearl or gemstone round
- Lapel post pin blank
- Hot glue
Nip a piece of craft wire about 3 feet long. Place your thumb about 4 inches from one end of the wire and bend the wire in half. Keep your thumb in place so you end up with a teardrop-shaped loop. Gently twist the tip of the teardrop to keep it together.
Bring the loose wire to the left and bend the wire again, creating a second loop. The tip of the wire should now be pointing to the right. Slide a 4mm bead onto the wire, pushing it onto the left loop. Fill the loop with beads or add just a few to make your angel's wings sparkle.
Bend the wire up and to the left to create a teardrop loop on the right. Add beads to this loop as you did the left one.
Bend the wire down along the left side of the bottom teardrop, tracing that teardrop with another loop of wire. Bring the wire up and trace the left teardrop, then the right with your wire. Add beads to the left and right loops as you bend.
Continue bending the wire along your three loops until you have about 9 inches of wire left. Wrap about 2 inches of wire around the centre of the angel where your loops meet. Bring the other 7 inches of wire straight up between the right and left beaded loops.
Slip your 12mm bead down onto the upright wire. Curl the wire into a coiled circle right above the bead, creating a halo. The halo may touch the angel's bead head or hover just above it.
Dab a little hot glue onto a lapel pin blank. Press the blank to the back of your angel. Allow the angel to dry for about 10 minutes.
Gently separate the loops on all sides of the angel to flare out her skirts and wings.
Tips and warnings
- You can mix up colours with your beading. Try mixing pearls with crystal beads or mixing bright ceramic with glass. The head bead may also be anything from pearl to a glass round to a birthstone bead.
- Tailor your angel to the recipient. An exuberant person who loves bright colours may enjoy an angel made of bright purple wire and strung with white, green and blue beads. A more reserved friend might like a silver wire angel with clear and lavender glass beads.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for