If you are a fan of water sports, boating or simply enjoy all water activities, a nautical theme can give your deck a fresh, appealing ambience. Decorating your deck to look like a rustic lakeside dock or creating a nautical seaside look on your deck can be uncomplicated if you use the right decor and accessories.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Deck furniture
- Beach glass and tile grout
- Large seashells, seahorses and assorted shells
- Life jacket, anchor, ship's wheel, life preserver, thick rope
- Nautical-themed artwork
- Hot glue gun
- Sisal or sea grass floor mat
- Nautical stencils and paint
Choose deck furniture that creates a laid-back look. Wicker furniture or Adirondack tables and chairs are good options, as are vintage aluminium chairs.
Cover a small beverage table or the top of the patio table with beach glass and tile grout to create a nautical look.
Set out large seashells as ashtrays or containers for condiments, nuts or other snacks when you are having outdoor barbecues.
Hang a life jacket, anchor, ship's wheel, vintage life preserver or a thick rope with a sailor's knot on your deck's railing or an exterior wall beside your deck.
Decorate the corners of your deck with rubber boots filled with potting soil and a plant. Consider displaying pieces of driftwood in the corners or other low-traffic areas of your deck.
Add artwork with nautical themes such as a lighthouse or a sailboat, or even hang an old metal sign advertising bait and tackle or boat rentals.
Use a hot glue gun to attach sea shells, starfish or seahorses to planters. You can also decorate planters by using stencils to paint nautical shapes.
Place a sisal or seagrass mat near the entrance to your deck or its exit into the yard. This kind of floor mat has a natural look, and grass, weeds, and other yard debris cling to it. That prevents people and pets from tracking grass and weeds onto the deck and into your home.
Tips and warnings
- Use a blue-and-white colour theme to create the look of a boat dock.
- Splashes of red can add pizazz to seat cushions, a plastic tablecloth or other decorative accessories.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for