You may have dental bonding due to composite bonding or veneer bonding. Whatever the case, the composite and veneers are suppose to be stain resistant, although the bonding is not. Discolouration can happen when you eat or drink things such as coffee, red wine, or tea. Smoking also stains the bonding. A professional grade whitening toothpaste may remove stains from dental bonding. If that does not work, you may have to contact an accredited cosmetic dentist to help you remove the stains from your bonding.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Professional grade toothpaste, such as Supersmile
Purchase professional grade toothpaste that is specifically designed for removing stains from dental bonding, such as Supersmile. You cannot purchase these over the counter but you can buy them from a dentist or from online distributors. This kind of toothpaste will help remove stains as well as help to prevent future stains from forming.
Use the toothpaste every day for two weeks. Experiment with the pressure you apply during brushing. If it causes pain, you are brushing too hard. At the end of this two-week period, examine your dental bonding to see if the stains have been reduced in colour.
Contact your dentist if you do not see a change or reduction in the stains. A cosmetic dentist can remove the stains from your dental bonding without causing further damage. Make sure you find a cosmetic dentist who is accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). Accredited cosmetic dentists are trained to work with this kind of bonding discolouration.
Tips and warnings
- Do not use harsh abrasives to try to remove the stains as these may cause more damage and make the surface of the bonding more porous. This would cause more stains to develop. Avoid excessive amounts of coffee, tea, red wine, and smoking tobacco, which will further stain your teeth and bonds.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for