A fence provides privacy and prevents animals from entering your yard. If you have a dog, a fence can provide an open area for it to run off leash without the possibility of running onto the street or a neighbour's yard. If your fence's height is not sufficient, you can solve the problem by extending the fence. Extending a fence is a simple process you can do yourself in a few hours.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Heavy wire or twine
- Utility knife or wire cutter
- Bamboo or wire mesh roll
Subtract the existing height from the desired height to calculate how much fencing to add. For instance, if your intention is to stop deer from jumping the fence, the final height should be at least 8 feet. If you're extending the fence to increase privacy or to support climbing plants, you may only need to add 1 or 2 feet to the fence.
Drill a hole into the back of the first fence post, 10 inches from the top. Drill another hole 2 inches from the bottom end of the new pole. Place the new pole over the first post so it overlaps the top by 1 foot. Align the holes and drill a screw through the hole. Use heavy wire to tightly lash the new pole to the post.
Cut a length of bamboo or mesh equal to the length of the fence, using a utility knife or wire cutter. Place one end of the material so the bottom overlaps the top of the fence by 6 inches. Tie the end of the material to the pole with twine or heavy wire.
Pull the material so it stretches to the next pole, and tie the material to the pole. Continue securing the material to each extended fence post until the extension covers the entire fence.
Tips and warnings
- Bamboo fence rolls are easy to install and won't detract from the natural look of a wood fence. Plastic or wire mesh fencing will blend well with a chain link fence and can prevent a dog from jumping over the top.
- The extension poles should be 1 foot longer than the amount of height you are adding to the fence. You'll need one pole for every fence post.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for