Making your own bed skirt is not as difficult as it may sound. And, if you use a little bit of ingenuity in the form of some Velcro tape, you'll save some time, energy and fabric in the process. The idea may seem a bit like cheating, and in some ways it is, but the results are fabulous, and no one will know the difference.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Measuring tape or ribbon
- Sewing machine
- Velcro tape
Measure the entire length and width of both sides of your bed. If you want pleats, decide how many you want and add 1 to 2 inches per pleat to your measurements. Add another inch to account for the seams. This number will be the length of the material you need for your bed skirt.
Measure the amount of space between the top of your box spring and the floor, then subtract a few inches (depending on how long you want the skirt to be) to keep the fabric from hitting the floor. This number will be the width of your bed skirt.
Choose your fabric. The beauty of a do-it-yourself project is the wide array of design, colour and pattern choices. Pick your favourite, and be sure to bring your measurements with you to the store so that you purchase enough.
Fold ½ inch of fabric in on both sides of the long edge, make a long, straight crease, and then sew the hem using your sewing machine.
Adhere the fuzzy side of the Velcro tape to the top of the bed skirt and the hooked side to the top edges of the box spring around the entire bed.
Attach the finished bed skirt to the bed by simply connecting the two Velcro strips.
Tips and warnings
- Write down your measurements as you go to save time and frustration.
- Buy a little extra fabric just in case your measurements weren't exact or you change your mind about the size or quantity of pleats. It's better to have more than you need than not enough.
- For a simple, modern look, use heavy fabric in a solid, neutral colour, and skip the pleats.
- Use high-quality, strong Velcro tape to prevent the bed skirt from falling off, especially if you are using heavy fabric.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for