Grass skirts add a touch of the tropics to any festive event. You can quickly make your child her own grass skirt using inexpensive items found in most households. All of these grass skirts are made from cheap materials and in minutes. Get your kids involved and let them help. Look for brightly coloured plastic bags or plastic table skirts with tropical images such as palm trees, Hawaiian leis or pineapples, to cut into the skirt.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Roll of green paper crepe streamers
- Stapler and staples or scotch tape
- Paper grass skirts
- Black or white bin bag with a drawstring
- Green plastic table skirt
- Adhesive-lined Velcro
Cut a length of crepe streamer to fit the waist of the skirt. Staple or tape the end in place.
Cut several lengths of crepe streamer as long as you want the length of your grass skirt.
Staple the ends of the streamers all around the waist so the streamers hang downward.
Crepe streamer grass skirt
Lay a plastic bin bag flat on a hard surface with the drawstring end at the top end.
Cut the bottom end off of the bin bag so the remaining bag is the desired length of your grass skirt.
Start at the bottom and cut all the way up to the drawstring but do not cut through the drawstring. Make these cuts all around the bag.
Put the grass skirt on the child and tighten the drawstring as the belt as needed to secure the grass skirt.
Bin bag grass skirts
Spread out a green plastic table skirt. Measure the length of the waistline for the skirt.
Cut the amount of plastic skirt off for your grass skirt. Cut from the bottom of the plastic up to 5 cm (2 inches) from the top of the plastic. Continue with these cuts on the entire green plastic material.
Add the Velcro to the top corners of each end of the green plastic. Put the skirt on the child's waist who will wear the grass skirt and secure using the Velcro.
Green plastic grass skirt
Tips and warnings
- For the green plastic grass table skirt, one sheet should make six skirts.
- Do not cut the strips too thin on either of the plastic grass skirts to prevent the strips from ripping from the skirt.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for