Making a music box from scratch can be a fun project for the whole family. You will need to buy an 18-note musical movement for the music box, but you can even build your own box for this project. The decorating part of making the music box is easy enough for children to help with. Musical movements are available online in a wide range of songs, so make sure to pick a tune that is special to you and your family.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wooden box with a lid
- 18-note key-wind musical movement with a T-bar winding key
- 2 jewellery box hinges
- Hot glue gun
- Drill with a 1-inch bit
- Wood sealer
- Paint brushes
- Additional embellishments to decorate the box
Sand the wooden box smooth, and brush wood sealer outside and inside. Allow it to dry completely.
Paint the wooden box outside and inside. Decorate the outside of the box with embellishments, but do not place embellishments inside of the box. Allow the glue and paint to dry completely.
Drill a hole in the centre of the box's back panel. Place the musical movement inside the box, with the winding key shaft extending out of the hole. Glue the musical movement in place using hot glue and fix the T-bar winding key to the shaft.
Attach the lid to the box with the jewellery box hinges.
Glue additional embellishments inside of the box.
Tips and warnings
- Choose a unique style to decorate your music box and fill it with memories and keepsakes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for