Any athlete or fitness enthusiast will most likely highlight the importance of a weight bench within any training program -- it is the foundation for performing a variety of strength and conditioning exercises. With some simple carpentry skills and a few tools, it is possible to make your own weight bench at home. Not only will you be able to train from the comfort of your home, but you will also save money on gym membership or equipment costs.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- (2) 6-by-2 inch wood boards
- (7) 4-by-2 inch wood boards (12 inches long)
- 3-inch drywall screws
- Tape measure
- Power drill
- Wood saw
Measure the length from the top of the tallest weight bench user's head to the top of his thighs. Add 2 inches and cut the two 6-by-2 inch wood boards to this length. This will make up the surface of the weight bench.
Lay the two 6-by-2 inch wood boards on a work table side by side on their widest surface. Push them together so they are touching. Place one of the 4-by-2 inch wood boards in the centre and at a right angle (perpendicular) to the longer boards. Use two drywall screws to mount the 4-by-2 to both of the longer boards. This will act as a support beam, preventing the weight bench surface from bending in the middle.
Screw a 4-by-2 inch wood board in an upright position onto one of the corners of the newly formed bench surface -- this will act as a leg. Use two drywall screws to ensure sturdy construction. Repeat this process on each corner.
Attach the remaining two 4-by-2 inch boards horizontally across the two legs at each end of the weight bench to reinforce it, creating a more rigid construction. Use two drywall screws to fasten each board.
Sand away any rough edges using sandpaper.
Tips and warnings
- Glue padding to your wooden bench or line it with a thick material for some cushioning.
- Test the stability of your bench before using it with any additional weight.
- Only use your wooden weight bench on a flat surface.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for