If you've ever woken up to a beeping carbon monoxide detector, you know the feeling of exasperation when trying to shut it off and go back to sleep. The problem is that carbon monoxide detectors are meant to wake you up and draw your attention to toxic gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal. Take precautions to safely shut off the carbon monoxide detector.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Open all the windows and doors or evacuate the building. Call 911.
Allow the emergency workers to complete their job. Listen to their instructions and stay out of the building. They will safely ventilate the building.
Enter the safely ventilated building if you are sure that there is no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and the emergency task force allows it.
Turn off any space heaters, gas stoves, propane-fuelled stoves or other equipment if the firemen have not done so already. Carbon monoxide problems can also be caused by cigarette smoke or open flames. The emergency team should have checked all of these potential causes.
Remove the carbon monoxide detector from the wall if it is still beeping. If there is no longer a source of carbon monoxide, most alarms will go off automatically.
Look for an "Off" button. If there is none, remove the batteries and replace with new batteries.
Tips and warnings
- Do not ignore the warnings of your carbon monoxide detector. They are installed to protect you from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If you are experiencing nausea, headache, fatigue, dizziness, hallucinations or other abnormal symptoms, see a doctor. These are all symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for