Model ship building has been around for centuries.The earliest recorded model ships were built in Egypt in 3200 B.C. It did not start out as a hobby. Early modelers constructed models of ships that would later be built into full-size sailing vessels.
Today, model ship building is a popular and interesting hobby.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Model ship building kit
- Model ship building books
Research the hobby. Many web sites will come up that will include a vast array of articles and information about model ship building. You can also check at your local public library for books on the subject.
Sign up online at model ship building websites. Many model ship building websites offer a free newsletter each month with all the latest news on this hobby. Websites also frequently offer forums and chat rooms where you can meet up with other people interested in this hobby.
There you can ask questions and learn all about the hobby of model ship building from enthusiasts and pros.
Visit a craft store that specialises in model ship building. Craft stores that sell model ships normally employ people who are knowledgeable in this field. You can ask them questions about what kits are best for beginners. They may also offer model ship building classes. This is a great place to meet others who love this hobby and learn from their experiences.
Tips and warnings
- Sign up online at several model ship building sites and visit their chat rooms. People enjoy talking about their hobbies and you can learn a great deal from them.
- Don't purchase expensive model ship building kits until you have some experience.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for