When mice invade your home, they tend to leave behind a trail of telltale droppings. While mice can live in almost any area of the house, they tend to nest near sources of food and water. This makes the kitchen a prime target for invasion as crumbs, trash and dripping taps make midnight snacking simple. In an effort to stay out of sight, mice will climb and claw their way across any obstacle, from toasters to mixers to microwaves, leaving their droppings as they go. Use caution in the clean-up process because mouse faeces carry bacteria and diseases such as the Hantavirus.
Things you need
Plastic spray bottle
2 tbsp dishwashing soap
Put on protective gear; this includes rubber gloves to avoid direct contact with the skin and a tight-fitting face mask to prevent unintentional inhalation of the faeces.
Pour ¾ cup chlorine bleach into a large bucket or basin. Add 2 qt. of warm water and stir until the two are well-blended. Transfer the solution to a plastic spray bottle. Soak any visible droppings in this solution for five minutes and then wipe the bleach away with a paper towel, picking up any faeces as you go. Dispose of the towels immediately.
Squirt approximately 2 tbsp of dishwashing soap into the sink. Add 1 tbsp chlorine bleach and fill the sink with hot water.
Disassemble the blender, mixer and food processor. Spray both the interior and exterior surfaces with bleach water. Leave the solution in place for five to 10 minutes and then wipe it away with paper towels. Place any removable parts into the sink and wash them in the soapy water. Wipe down the exterior surfaces with a damp sponge. Pat the appliances dry with a soft towel.
Unplug the toaster and remove the crumb tray. Resist the temptation to hold the tray over the dustbin and give it a vigorous shake. It is dangerous for mouse faeces and the dust surrounding it to become airborne. Spray the tray with bleach water and then wipe the residue away with paper towels. Scrub the tray and the outside of the toaster with hot, soapy water. Wash the soap away with a wet cloth. Rub the appliance gently with a soft towel to dry.
Spray the inside of the microwave with bleach water. Allow the solution to sit for 10 minutes and then wipe away any debris with paper towels. Remove the plate from the centre of the oven and place it in the sink. Wash the inside of the oven with a soapy sponge and then rinse with clear water. Scour the plate with a nylon scrub brush, rinse it thoroughly and return it to the microwave.
Things you need
- Rubber gloves
- Face mask
- Chlorine bleach
- Plastic spray bottle
- 2 tbsp dishwashing soap
- Paper towels