Homemade cookies are considered a special treat and can be enjoyable to make by yourself or with children. Homemade cookies will usually be tastier than purchased cookies and can be cost-efficient to make, especially if you know how to compare ingredient prices.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Locate several recipes for cookies that you are considering making from scratch. If you are comparing cookies that are the same type, choose recipes that have some different ingredients. Although recipes may be similar, you can usually find recipes that use different amounts of fat or different types of fat.
Identify how many cookies each recipe yields. If one recipe makes considerably more cookies, halve the larger recipe or increase the smaller one so that you are comparing recipes that make approximately the same number of cookies.
Make a list of ingredients for each recipe. Write down the precise amount you will need of each ingredient so you can calculate the cost when you go to the market.
Take your list to the market and shop for the ingredients. There may be certain items that will require purchasing an ingredient in quantity that is larger than you need. Determine the number of servings in ingredient packages that will not be completely used and calculate the cost for the amount needed in each recipe.
Add the costs for ingredients in each recipe. Compare the total costs of all the recipes to determine which is most cost-efficient.
Tips and warnings
- Examine store circulars and the newspaper to find more competitive prices on ingredients. Sometimes you can get better prices by going to multiple markets running different specials.
- If you are seeking to make the cheapest cookies, compare cookie costs of different types of cookies, but if you want a specific type of cookie, be aware that recipes for the same type of cookie may vary in cost based on the ingredients.
- If one recipe has an ingredient you are unlikely to use in the future, it may not make sense to make this recipe if the ingredient is expensive and would be partially wasted.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for