Crafts involving Popsicle sticks have been popular for decades, as the materials are easy to come by and the possibilities for creations are almost endless. A folding fan made from Popsicle sticks is a simple craft suitable for somewhat older children. Not only is a handheld fan ideal for hot days, but children can decorate the fan in any way they desire for a personal touch.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 Popsicle sticks
- Construction paper
- Small drill bit
Cut a single piece of construction paper into a rectangle so that the shorter sides are slightly smaller than the length of the Popsicle sticks. Decorate the paper and the Popsicle sticks using markers, crayons, glitter or any other design materials. Avoid adding heavy objects such as large stickers or sequins to the paper as they may cause the finished product to tear.
Fold the construction paper backward and forward, making pleats so it resembles an accordion. The pleats should not be wider than the Popsicle sticks. Make strong creases at each fold. Staple all of the pleats together at one end of the paper.
Glue the flat ends of the paper to each of the Popsicle sticks, making sure that the paper lies flat against the sticks. Lay the fan flat to dry so the glue does not seep onto the paper.
Drill a small hole through the bottom of the Popsicle sticks, being careful not to split the sticks with excessive force. Thread the ribbon through the holes in the sticks and tie off the ends in a knot or bow to complete the fan.
Tips and warnings
- For extra decoration, the pleats of the paper can be cut in a "v" shape at the open end of the fan
- Popsicle sticks can be purchased at any craft store. Tongue depressors can also be used to complete this project.
- For a more durable fan, use card stock instead of construction paper, or glue two pieces of paper together.
- Supervise the children while they work with scissors and glue. Drilling holes in the Popsicle sticks should only be done by adults.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for