You can enhance your mountain biking experience by making your own foam pit. Foam pits are large, padded structures commonly used in motocross training. They are typically the size of small swimming pools and are filled with pieces of soft, low-density foam. It helps mountain bike riders practice high speed jumps, stunts, tricks, vaults, flips and spills safely. Foam pits are rectangular in shape and can be various sizes. Amateur mountain bikers can build a foam pit in their backyard to use to enhance their skills.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 50-foot tape measure
- 100-foot chalk line
- Breeze blocks
- 1-foot wooden stakes
- Net/mesh screens
- 4-by-4, 2-by-8 inch wood/lumber
- 4-by-8-foot, 1-inch thick plywood sheets
- Wood and steel screws
- Electric winch
- Ruler square
Select a flat, levelled rectangular area of 50 feet by 100 feet minimum in an open field. Mark it with a chalk line to build a foam pit. Mark the four corners of the chalked rectangular area with wooden stakes.
Use breeze blocks to build the foundation of the foam pit. Lay them on the ground across the dimensions of the pit and cover the area completely with blocks. It will ensure stability and help in water drainage by elevating the pit floor 6 inches above the ground.
Make a rectangle frame using 4-by-4-inch wooden blocks. Cover this frame with 1-inch thick plywood to make a surface. Make the four side walls using 4-by-8-foot, 1-inch thick plywood sheets. Nail the walls on all four sides at the bottom to the frame to secure them tightly.
Drill 5-inch diameter drainage holes every 3 feet in the floor using a drilling machine. Drill them between the support beams and not over them.
Cut the net screens into circles that are slightly bigger than the size of the drilled holes and place them in the holes.
Purchase a mattress or use junked mattresses and cut them into cubes to fill the pit with it. Do not shred the foam because it will reduce safety impacts.
Tips and warnings
- Once foam pit construction is done, you can purchase or build a trail and ramp to pursue your true passion of mountain biking.
- You can use Y33 packing foam to reduce accidents.
- Use double mesh screening to ensure durability of the foam pit.
- To reduce cost, use junked mattresses or old foam from local gymnastics facilities.
- To ensure security, avoid the use of shredded foam.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for