Mildew thrives in damp, warm environments, such as the bathroom. Mildew often causes a musty smell and can discolour the object on which it grows. You do not need to purchase expensive, cleaning products to kill mildew. Bleach or oxygen bleach, as well as elbow grease, will get rid of your mould problem. Prevent mildew from returning to your bathroom by increasing the air circulation and decreasing the humidity.
Mix a solution of 50 per cent water and 50 per cent oxygen bleach. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
Spray the solution on surfaces with mildew, such as bathtub tiles and the sink.
Scrub the areas with a stiff-bristled brush. Spray on more solution as needed.
Rinse with water and a sponge.
Repeat these steps weekly to keep areas free of mildew.
Turn on the bathroom ventilation fan every time you take a shower, if your bathroom has one. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes afterward.
Wipe the bathtub with a towel after each shower. Draw the shower liner across the bathtub so water does not collect in the folds. When the shower liner has dried, open so air can circulate more freely.
Open the window in the bathroom, weather permitting, to increase air circulation. Place a box fan in the window if there is no breeze outside. Leave the curtains pulled back to let in the sunlight.
Run a dehumidifier in the bathroom. Dry air inhibits mildew growth.
Things you need
- Oxygen bleach
- Spray bottle
- Shower liner