The emigration check required stamp started being issued with Indian passports in January 2007. All Indian passports are classified as ECR or emigration check not required (ENCR). Having an ECR stamp in your passport requires you to apply for emigration clearance at the office of the Protector of Emigrants to work in or visit any of the following countries:
United Arab Emirates
If your passport was issued before 2007 and has no ECR or ENCR stamp, it goes by default into the ECR category. If your passport was issued after 2007 and page 2 is blank, you are automatically in the ENCR category. To remove an ECR stamp you must either have it suspended or replaced by an ECNR.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Miscellaneous Application Form (for ECNR) or ECR Suspension Application Form
Fill out the ECR Suspension Application Form. Remember that this suspension applies to visits only. For work, you must go to the Office of Protector General of Immigrants.
Prepare your Rs. 400 application fee, current passport and copy of passport, copy of your visa to the country in which you are travelling, copy of your return tickets from that country, completed ECR Suspension Application Form, and proof of address.
For all Middle Eastern countries, submit a sponsorship declaration that has been attested to by the Indian mission or consulate in that country. For other countries, submit a Fast Track Selection form.
Submit all required documents and fee to your Regional Passport Office.
Check to see whether you fit into one of the following categories:
Gazetted government servant.
Holder of PAN card.
Salaried and can submit the income tax deduction statement in Form 16 from employer, over the past three years, as well as copies of income tax returns.
Holder of a professional degree such as MBBS.
Person who has lived abroad for more than three years.
A spouse of any of the above.
Seamen with Continuous Discharge Certificate and sea cadets.
Deck cadets who have passed the final examination of B.Sc. Nautical Sciences and have undergone three months pre-sea training.
Holders of a permanent immigration visa (green card) to the United States.
People with diplomas from institutions such as a polytechnic or a certificate of vocational training from a recognised institution.
Children under 18.
People over the age of 50.
People who have completed their education up to the 10th class level or above.
Gather together the following:
Matriculation (SSLC)/PUC-II / Degree Certificate.
Annexure I, if you have been abroad for more than three years.
Fill out the Miscellaneous Application Form.
Prepare your application form, two copies of the proof you are qualified for ECNR, proof of address, two copies of the first and last four pages of your passport, Rs.300 application fee.
Submit the documents to your Regional Passport Office.
Tips and warnings
- Remember, persons over 50 are automatically eligable for ECNR and do not need to apply for an ECR suspension.
- An ECR suspension only applies to those wishing to visit the selected country.
- ECR and ECNR stamps only apply to the countries listed. All other countries do not require an emigration check.
- Make sure all of your documents are in order before submission. Documents may be submitted by agent or by post. If fee is paid in the form of a bank draft, draw it to your regional passport officer. Make sure your full name and application number is writted clearly on the back of the envelope.
- A ration card is not sufficient proof of address. A heating or electric bill may be used.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for