With more than 104 million speakers of the Urdu language around the world, including those who speak Urdu as a second language, it is important for those who have some Urdu knowledge to improve their writing skills. Urdu has been written in the Nastaliq style since the 12th century, following the script formulated by Persians and Arabs. Urdu is the formal national language of Pakistan and is considered to be very similar to Hindi; linguists identify the two languages as starkly different.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Urdu dictionary
- Urdu Thesaurus
- Urdu learning materials
Enrol in Urdu writing classes at a University or your local Student Language Learning centres. Also, there are workshops held to encourage and tutor writers to learn the Urdu language.
Read the works of popular Urdu novelists. This will help you develop an understanding of the usage of the various words in Urdu, and will improve your writing, making it more solid and structured.
Gather material in Urdu and try to find articles and news stories to read in Urdu. This will help you assimilate Urdu vocabulary that will help enhance your writing.
Buy an Urdu dictionary, thesaurus and other relevant guides that will help you learn the language with ease. Whenever you find a word that you don't know the meaning of, or are confused about its usage, you can consult the dictionary.
Practice writing the Urdu language on a regular basis so that it starts coming naturally to you. Set a target to write a certain amount in a given time and stick to that in order to improve your writing skills.
Tips and warnings
- Proofread your work and try to edit you drafts whenever you write something in Urdu.
- Befriend someone who has good Urdu writing skills. Ask her to go through your work and give constructive criticism.
- Research extensively on the Internet regarding the usage of Urdu words and incorporate them in your writing.
- Learning to improve your Urdu writing is a long process; you will need patience to see your efforts start bearing fruit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for